Sunday, August 9, 2009

Talkin' buddies ... OR ... I need somebody with skin on

I'm not precisely sure where I'm going with this post folks but lets just jump right in anyway, shall we?

So. Have you heard this one?

The story is told of a little boy who was frightened by thunderstorms. The boy called out one dark night, “Daddy, come, I’m scared.” “Son,” the father said, “God loves you and he’ll take care of you.” “I know he loves me,” the boy replied, “but right now I need somebody with skin on.”

The point to this story, for me, has always been that we all need somebody "with skin on" to talk to from time to time. Its is vital to have faith in something larger than yourself. I'm a big fan of the whole God of the Bible thing. I've tossed my hat in that ring and there it shall stay.

But I'm not here to talk about faith really. Cause honestly I don't like to argue about it. Here on the innerwebz it seems to get peoples knickers in a twist.

So over the course of this little Christian's life, although prayer is important, I have learned it is vital to have people to talk with when you get "down". Somebody just to listen and not judge you. Somebody to offer advice if you ask for it. Someone to be a sounding board when you don't. Often the best thing a friend can say to me is either nothing at all and just nod, or toss in the occasional "hmmm" or "uh huh".

I don't know many folks willing to do that honestly.

I'm thankful for the few I have in my life that are that way though (and you know who you are). Over the years I've met a lot of "pretend friends". They start off all great but eventually everyone shows their true colors. It's only a matter of time. The honeymoon as they only lasts for so long.

If that has happened to anybody out there reading this, either at work or in your personal friendships; take this bit of advice. Don't hold it against them. Don't get bitter. Just move on. It's sometimes the best thing to do. And always better than arguing.

Again I'm so thankful for the folks out there in my life who have stuck it out with me, in all my weirdness. And I apologize to you faithful readers for an overly serious post. It's been an awkward weekend in my head.

To satiate your appetite for humor I submit to you these older posts which have garnered a giggle or two ... enjoy:

Time to switch to decaf

On the Seventh Day: Genesis of a Sandwich

Dear Mr Handprint Restroom Guy

Thighs Wide Shut - A Vasectomy Story

1 comment:

Cheryl Peters said...

"Somebody with skin on." Yeah, I can relate to listeners better when they have skin too.

It is hard to just listen. Thanks for the reminder that in many cases people just want to share this that or the other thing and don't want input or advice.

Serious is OK, Rob. You surely don't have to apologize for writing with that tone.

In your photo, you don't look like a geek to me.